Monitoring Bluebirds at Balm Boyette Scrub

Photo by Nancy Eydmann

By Nancy Eydmann, Bluebird Monitor

I'm the Eastern Bluebird nest box monitor at Balm Boyette Scrub Nature Preserve in Balm. 

I became involved in the program after talking to and observing Mary Miller, monitoring coordinator, overseeing the bluebird trail at Flatwoods Wilderness Park.  

I bike at Boyette, so we discussed the boxes there. When an opportunity became available, she asked if I could monitor boxes at Boyette. I monitor the nests weekly while biking or taking the car.  

Although we have had few nestings this year, it is always exciting to open a box to find a nest/eggs/chicks. I also had several opportunities to discuss the nest box trail with other riders who were unfamiliar with the purpose of the nest boxes. 

We have 14 boxes at Boyette. This year, our nesting birds included Carolina Chickadees and Tufted Titmice. Next year, we plan to relocate some boxes to areas that we hope will encourage more nest occupancy.

I'm grateful to Hillsborough Environmental Lands Management for allowing me auto access to the Preserve.

Popular posts from this blog

How to Renew Your Membership in Tampa Audubon

Get Involved in Tampa Audubon

Tampa Audubon 2022-2023 Meeting Schedule