President's Message: January 2023

 Hello Fellow Tampa Audubon Member,

Ann Paul, President
Tampa Audubon
Sometimes I get asked, “What is the Tampa Audubon Society and why should I become a member?” 

First, Tampa Audubon Society is a non-profit Florida corporation committed to conserving birds and wildlife. We do this by focusing on protecting and restoring the habitats where animals live, find food, survive and raise their young. The tools we use for this mission are educating the public, serving as advocates for regional preserves and wildlife and offering opportunities for the community to become involved in our efforts. 

 

Established in the 1940s and incorporated as a nonprofit Florida corporation in 1972, Tampa Audubon Society is a chapter of the National Audubon Society and Audubon Florida. We serve Hillsborough County, the greater Tampa Bay area and its suburbs, from Citrus Park to Bayshore and from Odessa to Plant City. We are the local affiliate of the larger National Audubon Society, which focuses on issues of national significance and scope, and Audubon Florida, which addresses concerns affecting Florida and Floridians statewide.

 

Why should you become a member? It’s a great question, and I have some answers.

 

My reasons are that I sincerely believe that the conservation, restoration and protection of our native Florida natural areas are also a significant benefit to people. This includes family members and friends, and ourselves. These efforts help provide clean water, clean air, stormwater protection, economic enhancement for local tourism and the general peace of mind and quality of life that being in nature provides. 

 

If wildlife and birds can’t survive in our area, that doesn’t bode well for our health and happiness, either. The work of the Tampa Audubon Society directly benefits our regional and my personal quality of life.

 

Being on our nature walks and visiting our regional preserves, parks, refuges, rivers, bays and lakes give me joy. For me, every visit to these natural areas is a special learning experience, lifting my heart and spirits.

 

I also value meeting people who think these things are important and working with them to further these goals. My best friends, over the years of my life, have been my Audubon friends. I have found love and companionship, support and a community where I feel comfortable and welcome. This is so much a part of my self now. These are some of my reasons for being a Tampa Audubon member. Please share with me your reasons!

 

And, don’t forget to renew your membership this month for 2023. And what could be better than to gift a membership to your friends and family? It’s one way to share the good times with those you love.

 

Wishing you the Happiest of Holidays this December and all the Best in 2023!

 

Ann

 

Popular posts from this blog

How to Renew Your Membership in Tampa Audubon

Get Involved in Tampa Audubon

Tampa Audubon 2022-2023 Meeting Schedule